Master of Liberal Arts in Gastronomy
BOSTON UNIVERSITY Metropolitan College Boston, MA December 2012
– Julia Child Award for Academic Excellence in Gastronomy Fall 2012
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Film and Video
MASSACHUSETTS COLLEGE OF ART + DESIGN Boston, MA May 2006
FREELANCE WRITER & EDITOR
May 2016-current Self-employed
- Experienced copy writer providing efficient, intelligent copy for business, popular, and academic articles, blogs, newsletters, and social media.
Topical expertise: food and beverage industry, history, and culture; health & wellness; sustainable solutions; parenting (attachment parenting, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, older parents, gentle/positive/respectful parenting).
- Edit emails, newsletters, résumés, websites, and academic writing projects.
January 2018-August 2021 Daniel Remar, Ph.D. – Principal Investigator
- Assisted in design, implementation, data gathering and management for three-part, year-long, government-funded consumer research study on local seafood in New England.
- Provided research support to Principal Investigator and Assistant Professor of Hospitality and Food Industry Management at UNH/UGA Daniel Remar for his government-funded study.
- Contributed 1/4th of the 60-page results report to funding source, including qualitative data analysis and summary.
- Edited 60-page results report to funding source.
- Created, wrote, and edited project website: http://www.seafoodresearch.com.
COMMUNICATIONS PROJECT MANAGER & CONTRIBUTING WRITER
September 2013-April 2016 Young Presidents’ Org., Inc. Irving, TX (remote)
- Successfully managed a portfolio of marketing and communications projects (including yearly membership renewal campaign resulting in an average 97% renewal rate) working with an internal team of writers, designers, and key stakeholders to create communications for print, online, video, and email.
- Provide strategic advice and project management for yearly membership renewal communications and marketing campaign.
- Project manage and provide strategic direction and planning for a multi-departmental project that highlights the global impact of members’ socially conscious endeavors.
- Write and edit for member-facing and external online and print publications.
- Create and oversee special project budgets, including managing contractors and vendors and applying for internal funds as needed.
- Maintain relationships with multiple departments, members, and contractors for successful fulfillment of various marketing and communications projects.
- Provide onsite support at organization’s annual flagship global event for more than 2,000 attendees.
- Provide support and expertise in marketing research and data analytics for email marketing, social media and web.
EDITORIAL ASSISTANT & CONTRIBUTING WRITER
June 2012- current The SAGE Encyclopedia of Food Issues Ken Albala (ed.). SAGE Publications, Inc, 2014.
Three-volume reference work exploring the topic of food across multiple disciplines.
- Researched and recruited contributors for 500 entry topics.
- Reviewed entries.
- Contributed two topic articles: “Health Food Stores” and “Raw Food Diets.”
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
January 2008- September 2013 Young Presidents’ Org., Inc. Irving, TX (remote)
- Manage company intranet staff news section; write, edit and post staff-related news stories
- Contributing writer to member-facing online and print publications
- Manage new projects, like organizational history exhibit and website – writing, editing, art directing
- Provide professional, administrative and technical support to the marketing and communications department
- Support website, social media and mobile marketing projects
- Plan and coordinate department meetings and retreats for team of 16
- Maintain schedule and travel details for chief marketing officer
- Prepare expense reports for chief marketing officer
- Build and send HTML email marketing blasts using Dreamweaver and Lyris software
- Create and analyze marketing email metrics reports
DEVELOPMENT & EVENTS COORDINATOR
June 2005- December 2007 Community Art Center, Inc. Cambridge, MA
After school youth arts education non-profit
- Wrote all grant proposals, website copy and agency newsletter
- Planned and produced agency’s signature annual event, the “Do It Your Damn Self!!” National Youth Video and Film Festival, for an audience of over 900 youth and adults
- Maintained communications with donors, artists, members of the local business community, academics and the media
- Presided over all marketing and promotions
- Designed marketing and promotional materials and web content
April 2005- October 2007 Tremont 647/ Rouge South End, Boston, MA
Casual fine dining, Special events; Chef Andy Husbands
September 2004- April 2005 Bertucci’s Boston, MA
May 2004- August 2005 KSM Staffing Boston, MA
September 2002- April 2004 TGI Friday’s Boston, MA